On the recommendation of a classmate, I picked up this book and could not put it down- okay, I was listening to the audio version of the book so I could not stop listening. I listened during my drives to and from work and on every break that I had during the working day. The only hard feelings I have about the book is that it's the beginning of a three book series. I would love to read them all, but need to explore other authors.
This is the first installment of award-winning Science Fiction writer Margaret Haddix's series, The Missing. When thirteen year old Jonah gets a letter via snail mail that simply says, "Beware! They're coming back to get you." he blows it off as a prank executed by one of his classmates. When his friend Chip gets the same exact letter, the two can't help but ask questions. With the help of Jonah's younger sister Katherine, they begin to unravel the mystery of their identities and who exactly is coming back to get them. The letters lead them on an adventure where they come face to face with FBI agents, witnesses who refuse to remain silent, and a secret and dangerous history involving 36 infants and a plane that no longer exists. The writing is quick paced and propels the reader forward on the edge of their seats. It would be a surprise if kids didn't devour this volume and ask for more- luckily the story continues. Lovers of Haddix's Shadow Children books will not be disappointed.
Haddix, Margaret Peterson. (2008). Found. New York : Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers. 314 pages. ISBN: 978-1-416-95421-7.
Ages 8-10
Rating: High Additional

No comments:
Post a Comment